Sunday, August 30, 2009

About Me

¡Bienvenidos! Me llamo Señora Pack y soy una profesora de español. I have recently retired from teaching Spanish in Texas schools for the past 40 years and now am offering Spanish lessons at my home in McKinney, Texas, where I have lived for 33 years. I have former students from all over Collin County from the districts where I have taught: Princeton, McKinney, Wylie and Celina! I also taught for two years at the Episcopal School of Dallas and in Wilson, TX and Wichita Falls, TX before coming to McKinney.

Although not a native Spanish speaker, I have worked hard over the years to achieve a Superior proficiency level, having traveled and studied in Spain, Costa Rica, and Mexico. I was also trained in proficiency-oriented instruction at the Oral Proficiency Institute at UTEP back in 1986. After that point, I stopped using textbooks and began creating my own materials that were focused on speaking proficiency. I have given many workshops over the years both here in the U.S. and abroad for high school teachers. Having visited Costa Rica many times over the past 20 years, I have repeatedly stayed with families and studied periodically at an institute to keep my Spanish proficiency current. I also love Latin music and listen to it often!
Learning a second language requires time, commitment and work, and nothing substitutes for a face-to-face learning experience with a good teacher! Come and join me for a fun learning experience with the Spanish language!